Sunday, October 18, 2015

     My inner English Literature Nerd is happy!  Yesterday I had the great pleasure of going to Thomas Hardy’s birthplace and home in Dorchester.  For those of you who don’t know Thomas Hardy, he is a Victorian Realist Novelist.  He has written many famous works, of those, my favorite is Return of the Native
     It was a very long day.  I spent around 8.5 hours on the train, and only around 3 in Dorchester.  In between train delays, ticket mix-ups, and various other incidents, the trip was considerably longer than I anticipated.  Despite the length, it was worth it.
     The Hardy Cottage Center was much smaller than expected, but I loved the chance to visit it.  I first read a Thomas Hardy novel the summer before my Senior Year of High School.  I remember thinking how wonderful it would be to visit Egden Heath where the novel took place.  The thought was a passing one, I never thought I would actually make it there, but I did.
     This adventure has been so wonderful.  Despite the constant allergies and homesickness, I am so thrilled to be here.  I am learning so much about the world and my place in it.  It is so refreshing to know that even once we are gone, the world remembers us by the people we influence.
     We don’t know about Thomas Hardy’s bad days, the times he burnt toast, broke a plate, or felt lonely, although I am sure all those things happen.  Instead, we know about his life’s work, his dedication to art, and his love towards his family.  Those are things he is remembered for and the things we will be remembered for.
     So, even when one ear is stopped up, you sound like a smoker from so much coughing, and your nose refuses to stop running, don’t give up.  The world won’t remember the answers you got wrong, or the scary hair days you had.  The world, the people around you, will remember the positive impact you had on the world.
When you have a bad day, brush it off.  Bad days do not matter in the end; all that matters is the love and kindness we share with the world.  :)

In front of Hardy's Cottage.

Rocking my Ranger Pride in Dorchester.

The Thomas Hardy Center

The most beautiful rose I have ever seen.


Hardy's Cottage


Max Gate


No comments:

Post a Comment